NON-COMPETITIVE SUPERTOTS (Ages 3-4),
PEE WEE (5-6), and BASICS (7-10)
First Shot programs are not about winning. When the kids ask who won, our answer is, “if you had fun, you won!” Each class has 4 or 5 experienced teachers (not volunteers). They teach your child the basic skills, play with him/her, provide encouragement and help set individual goals. We show them how to catch the ball properly; dribble and shoot using “youth size” balls and baskets lower than regulation. We stress good sportsmanship in all of our classes. No one sits out. Everyone plays all the time!
- Super Tots for ages 3-4. Integrating skills with fun games and activities developed to promote coordination, balance, and the social skills of working in a group. Designed to prepare the children for the healthy benefits of sports. Limited enrollment for this very popular class.
- Our Pee Wee Class for ages 5-6, teaches basic basketball skills tailored to this age group. Our lessons, philosophy and teaching methods are specifically designed to be child-sensitive. Children learn social skills of working in a group. We use basketball to show children how capable they are and to prove they can succeed no matter how difficult the task may seem.
- Basics/Beginner – for ages 7-10 teaches basketball fundamentals including shooting, passing, dribbling with a dose of good sportsmanship. We explain their role on a team and we do it all without any pressure. We play full court games and our coaches play in the game so the children learn by watching the coach rather than another child in the class.
Our message to the children is always filled with support and an expectation that he/she will accomplish the task. With many students, we find that our confidence in them will overcome their lack of confidence in themselves.
Although these are competitive program, we don’t permit any cut-throat rivalry. All of our programs enforce the value of sportsmanship, individual excellence and teamwork. The Olympix and Advanced Olympix are similar programs. The children that qualify for the Advanced Olympix are generally a little older and have more skills and experience.
- Olympix, for boys and girls, 9-12, is an innovative concept in youth basketball. The first half of the twelve week semester provides instruction, skills and technique along with full court games. The second half focuses on a series of basketball contests and games based on the skills they learned, testing different aspects of the sport: dribbling, shooting, defense, and full-court games.
- This wide variety of games levels the playing field for everyone. Smaller children can excel in shooting, dribbling and speed contests. Bigger players may do better in rebounding and low post skills. And, less aggressive children will find that most games are non-contact. No one sits out. Everyone participates in every event!
- Each week, children are grouped with five other players and a coach. During the session, they practice and compete in events against other group members. Then as a team, the groups play full court games against each other.
- Points are awarded and accumulated. At the end of the season, one player from each age level is named as the First Prize Winner. A trophy is awarded to every child. Children love this program. It gives them an opportunity to monitor their skills, define their strong points, and see how they are progressing each week.
This is a unique program developed for players age 12-15, whose skill and expertise is beyond those in our regular Olympix, and who want to play on a team in the future. This class is for the serious player who wants to excel in the game. We only take fourteen select students in this class.
- The Power Ball Advanced program provides intense training that focuses on two important criteria: First, is the fine points of the full court game including setting picks, pick and roll, how to get free, set plays, zone defense and man to man defense, how to run a two on one fast break, boxing out and rebounding. The second equally important aspect of the program is shooting. We work closely with the students to refine their shooting technique.
This program will make the student a better full court player.
To find out more about this season’s Summer Scoring Clinic call our office. Classes will be held during the evenings in July and August from 6:30-8:30PM in our Bayside location. There are two different levels for students with some experience. Skill Training for ages 8-10 and Advanced Skill Training, ages 11-14. Limited Enrollment! Register and Reserve your child’s place now. 718.275.7974.