NON-COMPETITIVE PEE WEE and BASICS
First Shot programs are not about winning. When the kids ask who won, our answer is, "if you had fun, you won!"
- Our Pee Wee Class for ages 5-6, and Basics Class, ages 7-10, teach basic basketball skills. Our program, philosophy and teaching methods are specifically designed to be child-sensitive. We use basketball to show children how capable they are and to prove they can succeed no matter how difficult the task may seem.
- Each class, has 4 or 5 experienced teachers (not volunteers). They teach your child the basic skills, play with him/her, offer encouragement and help set individual goals. We show them how to catch the ball properly, dribble and shoot using “youth size” balls and baskets lower than regulation. No one sits out. Everyone plays all the time!
- Our message to the children is always filled with support and an expectation that he/she will accomplish the task. With many students, we find that our confidence in them will overcome their lack of confidence in themselves.
Although this is a competitive program, we don’t permit any cut-throat rivalry. This program enforces the value of sportsmanship, individual excellence and teamwork.
- First Shot Olympix, for boys and girls, 9-12, is an innovative concept in youth basketball. The first half of the twelve week semester provides instruction and technique. The second half focuses on a series of basketball contests and games based on the skills they learned; testing different aspects of the sport: dribbling, shooting, defense, full-court.
- This wide variety of games levels the playing field for everyone. Smaller children can excel in shooting, dribbling and speed contests. Bigger players may do better in rebounding and low post skills. And, less aggressive children will find that most games are non-contact. Everyone participates in every event!
- Each week, children are grouped with five other players and a coach. During the session, they practice and compete in events against other group members. Then as a team, the groups play full court games against each other.
- Points are awarded and accumulated. At the end of the season, one player from each age level is named as the First Prize Winner. A trophy is awarded to every child.
Advanced Training Program
This program was developed for players age 10-14, whose skill and expertise is beyond those in our regular Olympix and want to play on a team in the future.
This class is for the serious player who wants to excel in the game. We only take fourteen select students in this class.
The Advanced Training program focuses on the full court game as well as the technical fine points of the game. We will work on setting picks, pick and roll, how to get free, set plays, zone defense and man to man defense, how to run a two on one fast break, boxing out and rebounding.
This program will make the student a better full court player.